Star Trek Discovery breadcrumbs

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Star Trek Discovery breadcrumbs

Postby NCC1966 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:34 pm

The point is not indeed the quality of the CGI because we cannot simply reduce an actor to a face. For me it's imoral and disrespectful. First no one should be able to use the image of a person that cannot choose if he want that or not. Also it's not only the image involved: there is too all the dramatic interpretation.

:x

Anyway I don't know how to explain better my point and if I couldn't do it so far probably I won't succeed no matter my efforts...

:P
Thanks,

Yan.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:06 pm

NCC1966 wrote:The point is not indeed the quality of the CGI because we cannot simply reduce an actor to a face. For me it's imoral and disrespectful. First no one should be able to use the image of a person that cannot choose if he want that or not. Also it's not only the image involved: there is too all the dramatic interpretation.
:P

I would rather see a new actor cast as Spock than a "Spock pastiche".
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 pm

The CGI may be many years ahead, but it's still lacking the illusion of a soul.

I'm with Tesral.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby mophius » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:15 pm

Two more actors confirmed today. Jason Isaacs and Mary Wiseman. Isaacs will play Captain Lorca of the USS Discovery
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:30 pm

mophius wrote:Two more actors confirmed today. Jason Isaacs and Mary Wiseman. Isaacs will play Captain Lorca of the USS Discovery

Seems that we are having some progresses!

:)

Thanks,

Yan.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:30 pm

Jason Issacs' addition to the cast may entice me to actually watch the show - at least the pilot episode. I also hope they play him as a seasoned Captain, on par with Kirk of that era, rather than as a Lucius Malfoy knock-off.

Issacs is too good of an actor to waste him on a frivolous part. On the other hand, he is joining a great company of Star Trek Captains!

Steve

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Thu May 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Trailer came out, all of it looks Abramsverse-y to me, and they completely changed the look of Klingons yet again.

I want to try to ignore continuity and just give it a shot (once I eventually did this and gave it a shot I came to accept Enterprise despite objecting to it for the same reasons originally), but telling fans "just ignore the continuity issues and embrace it for what it is" while also making a prequel set ten years before TOS and intentionally backing yourself into a continuity corner is trying to have your cake and eat it too.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu May 18, 2017 3:17 pm

SKO wrote:I want to try to ignore continuity and just give it a shot (once I eventually did this and gave it a shot I came to accept Enterprise despite objecting to it for the same reasons originally), but telling fans "just ignore the continuity issues and embrace it for what it is" while also making a prequel set ten years before TOS and intentionally backing yourself into a continuity corner is trying to have your cake and eat it too.

And Berman & Braga's solution to having their cake and eating it too was the idiotic "Temporal Cold War," which served as a giant reset button that they would press in order to get around continuity. In their original plans, it was going to be pressed at the end to say, "See, none of this matters because the TCW reset everything back to the way it was before. Sorry you invested 7 years into a set of events that ultimately 'didn't happen,' but them's the breaks, kid!" Right from the start they were begging me to hate the show.

It wasn't until the 4th season when Coto and the Reeves-Stevenses came on board that ENT felt like a prequel to Star Trek. That the technology looked too advanced for TOS, or that they were riding around in the Akira-prise didn't matter. The stories "felt" right.

We'll have to see what Discovery does. As long as it tells a good story and doesn't radically affect the timeline, I won't care if the uniforms don't look like Pike's or that they're using windows as viewscreens or that they're using phasers instead of lasers or the tech wasn't retro'ed enough, etc.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Thu May 18, 2017 4:06 pm

el gato wrote:
SKO wrote:I want to try to ignore continuity and just give it a shot (once I eventually did this and gave it a shot I came to accept Enterprise despite objecting to it for the same reasons originally), but telling fans "just ignore the continuity issues and embrace it for what it is" while also making a prequel set ten years before TOS and intentionally backing yourself into a continuity corner is trying to have your cake and eat it too.

And Berman & Braga's solution to having their cake and eating it too was the idiotic "Temporal Cold War," which served as a giant reset button that they would press in order to get around continuity. In their original plans, it was going to be pressed at the end to say, "See, none of this matters because the TCW reset everything back to the way it was before. Sorry you invested 7 years into a set of events that ultimately 'didn't happen,' but them's the breaks, kid!" Right from the start they were begging me to hate the show.

It wasn't until the 4th season when Coto and the Reeves-Stevenses came on board that ENT felt like a prequel to Star Trek. That the technology looked too advanced for TOS, or that they were riding around in the Akira-prise didn't matter. The stories "felt" right.

We'll have to see what Discovery does. As long as it tells a good story and doesn't radically affect the timeline, I won't care if the uniforms don't look like Pike's or that they're using windows as viewscreens or that they're using phasers instead of lasers or the tech wasn't retro'ed enough, etc.

I've kind of always ignored the Cage, to be honest. First season TOS had a lot of continuity issues on its own (the united earth space probe agency, etc) that just need to be ignored, so I wouldn't mind if they retconned The Cage entirely. I don't need the tech to look low grade, I just want it to at least look stylistically similar even if more advanced, if that make sense.

Totally agree with you on ENT, the Coto season was what enticed me to give it a shot, Mirror, Mirror did an outstanding job of smoothing over the issues between ENT and TOS because damn if that Defiant didn't somehow look imposing and terrifying next to the NX-01s.

ENT is still my least favorite of the series, but that last season did make it Trek for me. I would have loved if Coto had been there from day 1 and they hadn't wasted seasons on the Xindi and the "let's just try to be TOS" nonsense of a lot of season 1 and 2. If Coto had been there they'd have been laying the groundwork for the Romulan War and the start of the federation from Day 1.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu May 18, 2017 4:37 pm

Totally agree. At this point I think ENT was one season long. I've already discarded seasons 1 & 2, and the Xindi War was another sci fi-related conflict. It's not necessarily Star Trek
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “General Trek”