Star Trek Discovery breadcrumbs

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Star Trek Discovery breadcrumbs

Postby nova1972x » Sun May 21, 2017 4:02 pm

NCC1966 wrote:
nova1972x wrote:Based on what I have read and seen online, that second ship, which is the one depicted in the trailer, is the USS Shenzhou. The USS Discovery does not appear in the trailer.

Geez, this is a hell of a production failure. How do they make a trailer of a show that carries the name of a ship and the ONLY ship that show up in this trailer is NOT that ship! It wouldn't be a problem if we were talking about an episode trailer of a show that is already being broadcast but I cannot accept this on a trailer that is more like a teaser. It makes me think how bad in terms of continuity and consistence the show will be. It would be better if they didn't have shown any ship instead.

:evil:

I agree. IT's pretty bad. I think what they me trying to do is because the concept art was polarizing, they may be holding off showing the final product until the show debuts. I think that whether its coincidence or not, THIS is why CBS felt threatened by Axanar. I am not one of those conspiracy people that think CBS ripped off Axanar, but the coincidences are undeniable:
1. Both are set 10 years before TOS? CHECK!
2. Both have Klingons as the antagonists? CHECK!
3. Both supposedly set in the primeverse? CHECK!
4. Both have FX/production styles that resemble the Kelvinverse? CHECK!
5. Both seem to feature multiple ships and captains? CHECK!

Now the actual stories about the characters and Klingons may be different, and I am sure it will go in a different direction, but one can't deny the similarities.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sun May 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Careful. You're treading on the Deep Space 9 ripped off Babylon 5 (or is it the other way around?) territory. Here there be dragons :P :lol:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:14 pm

nova1972x wrote:Now the actual stories about the characters and Klingons may be different, and I am sure it will go in a different direction, but one can't deny the similarities.

I just hope that the show don't be reduced to non-sense crazy edition of stressing velocity takes and CGI only to compensate weak stories. I am sick of this sugar candy easy formula found in the latest JJA ST movies and other hollow pearls such as The Fast and the Furious (99% action and 1% of story).
Thanks,

Yan.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Sun May 21, 2017 7:53 pm

NCC1966 wrote:
nova1972x wrote:Based on what I have read and seen online, that second ship, which is the one depicted in the trailer, is the USS Shenzhou. The USS Discovery does not appear in the trailer.

Geez, this is a hell of a production failure. How do they make a trailer of a show that carries the name of a ship and the ONLY ship that show up in this trailer is NOT that ship! It wouldn't be a problem if we were talking about an episode trailer of a show that is already being broadcast but I cannot accept this on a trailer that is more like a teaser. It makes me think how bad in terms of continuity and consistence the show will be. It would be better if they didn't have shown any ship instead.

:evil:

They want to wait for the hate to flow until after it airs
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sun May 21, 2017 10:05 pm

From everything I'm following FUBAR seems to be the standard operating procedure.

I will not be seeing it good or bad. I'm not paying more money for the 99% of bad TV I don't watch just to get something called Star Trek, no matter how good, and certainly not if bad.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Mon May 22, 2017 5:10 am

el gato wrote:Careful. You're treading on the Deep Space 9 ripped off Babylon 5 (or is it the other way around?) territory. Here there be dragons :P :lol:

LOL! Well, I never thought they ripped off Bab 5, but there were some undeniable similarities.

And I don't neessarily think Axanar was ripped off, either. I think there is such a thing as a Zeitgeist, where people who were raised on a sci fi franchise, can independently come up with similar ideas. I think there is a whole generation of sci fi writers that have this issue. Where I think it gets interesting is Axanar and Discovery were in development around the same time, and until then CBS and Paramount took notice of Axanar. Now I know there is controversy of the crowd funding aspect, too. But I don't think it is that much of a stretch of a CBS hearing of a fan film that is actually using former Star Trek actors and FX people, with a plot that is similar to the one their own employees came up with, feeling nervous, especially with as popular as Axanar became.

I'm not saying they didn't have a right to be...it's their intellectual property. But the timing was curious. Could really all just be coincidence, too. That is all I am saying. :)

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Tesral wrote:From everything I'm following FUBAR seems to be the standard operating procedure.

I will not be seeing it good or bad. I'm not paying more money for the 99% of bad TV I don't watch just to get something called Star Trek, no matter how good, and certainly not if bad.

I hear such an echo here. I just pay for cable TV for regular broadcast (History, Discovery, Sony, SyFy, Warner, H&H, yaddah-yaddah-yaddah plus a couple hundreds of channels that I'll never watch) and that's it. They offered me an extra free package of movies and HBO channels for 1 year because I had canceled the subscription and they did that to convince me to get back (actually I would get back anyway because now I am renting my basement for weekend guests through Airbnb so I cannot afford the luxury of NOT having TV). Anyway, to pay extra content packages such as Netflix and others is completely off of purpose to me. Regarding to the new ST show I will be awaiting in my balcony for some good paying soul to rip the episodes and put it available through torrent (it uses to happen within a couple hours after it be aired) then I will download, watch and dispose. That's what I do with all series I like. IF, of course, the provider guys come and get my Internet working. Yeah, the novel is not over yet.

:P
Thanks,

Yan.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue May 23, 2017 2:23 am

quote="NCC1966"]Regarding to the new ST show I will be awaiting in my balcony for some good paying soul to rip the episodes and put it available through torrent (it uses to happen within a couple hours after it be aired) then I will download, watch and dispose. That's what I do with all series I like. IF, of course, the provider guys come and get my Internet working. Yeah, the novel is not over yet.[/quote]

I don't know why you would have to wait for someone to rip them into torrents. I understand it will be broadcast for free around the world except for the US. We should be asking you to rip the show into torrents for us :P
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:31 pm

el gato wrote:I don't know why you would have to wait for someone to rip them into torrents. I understand it will be broadcast for free around the world except for the US. We should be asking you to rip the show into torrents for us :P

Well, there is a bit of convenience too. Our favorite time to watch our shows is between 8-11 pm any day of the week (not always it will be aired at the day/time we want) and there is also the comfort to pause at any point to have a snack, replay a cool scene or even go pee!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue May 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Still, don't be surprised when several of us will be contacting you for torrents of this series

Return to “General Trek”