Discovery Enterprise **SPOILER** image heavy

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Discovery Enterprise **SPOILER** image heavy

Postby MEATLOAFr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:39 am

for those that caught the final episode this season for discovery... and those that haven't,

TIME TO GET THE DROOL ON - the enterprise under Pike shows up in the last minute of the episode

If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Discovery Enterprise **SPOILER** image heavy

Postby Greyryder » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 am

Gotta say, I'm torn. For the most part, I like it. But the angled nacelle pylons pre-TOS make zero sense. I liked the split pylons better, on the John Eaves design they stole them off of. But, I do like the glowing warp grills on her.

And, they put a frikken windshield on the Enterprise! :evil:

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby MadManMUC » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 am

This really makes me angry. It wasn’t enough that everything else that made Trek what it is was thrown out the window, that the Klingons got a really needless re-design, but now they also have to — in a final flip of the middle finger to Trekkies — re-design one of sci-fi’s (indeed, even pop culture’s) most iconic ships.

Why?
This was utterly unnecessary.

Everything about this show makes me see red ...
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks for posting these pics.

I have to say that I'm completely conflicted. First off, while I watch STD, I'm not a huge fan. For the 21st century, the writing and justification for things is pretty sloppy and disappointing. But this is the type and style of show that is popular now, so it is what it is. I take it with a grain of salt.

Though oddly enough, STD has made me appreciate JJTrek more. Never thought that would happen.

Anyway, as for the ship. Awesome reveal and made for a promising second season. Maybe.

The style... I don't buy the whole Archer changed the timeline nonsense. It was clearly stated that he corrected the timeline as it was supposed to be. So let's get that out of the way.

I also want to suggest that I don't begrudge anyone who likes this ship. So my dumping on it is not dumping on you. And I'm tired of all the attacks on everyone personally who doesn't want to love eff STD and everything in STD.

I like the idea of this ship. Not as the Enterprise though. The TOS E could have been easily textured similarly to this one. It could have even added the dramatic external lighting. Tweaked external elements, and still remained loyal to the original design, while at the same time giving it a 21st century level of detail people expect. Even though I have nothing against smooth, I understand why people want to see panelling and tonnes of windows.

I'm still waiting to see what STD does to make up for this nonsense snorefest of a season. And holy !!!!!!!! am I tired of the monologues. Drama drama dark drama 24/7. Turn on the bloody lights and get rid of the everything has to be so blue...

Anyway. Again. Not a hate on for fans. Love what you love.

And will they just admit it's a reboot of the prime universe? I hate that kind of BS trying to appeal to everyone by being wish washy.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Greyryder wrote:Gotta say, I'm torn. For the most part, I like it. But the angled nacelle pylons pre-TOS make zero sense. I liked the split pylons better, on the John Eaves design they stole them off of. But, I do like the glowing warp grills on her.

I thought John Eaves was involved with the look of the DSC-prise?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:57 pm

el gato wrote:
Greyryder wrote:Gotta say, I'm torn. For the most part, I like it. But the angled nacelle pylons pre-TOS make zero sense. I liked the split pylons better, on the John Eaves design they stole them off of. But, I do like the glowing warp grills on her.

I thought John Eaves was involved with the look of the DSC-prise?

I'm a little tired of Eves' singular ship design style.

George Nathan

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Well, there should be a differentiation between his artistry and what he's allowed to do as an employee. I have a copy of of his drawing of the TOS Enterprise that is just beautiful and I've also talked to him briefly. He is truly a fan and the work he does for Star Trek goes beyond a mere employer/employee relationship. I think he appreciates the Enterprise for what it is. Left to his own devices, I think he probably wanted to render her like she is. Those may not have been his marching orders, though.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:21 pm

el gato wrote:Well, there should be a differentiation between his artistry and what he's allowed to do as an employee. I have a copy of of his drawing of the TOS Enterprise that is just beautiful and I've also talked to him briefly. He is truly a fan and the work he does for Star Trek goes beyond a mere employer/employee relationship. I think he appreciates the Enterprise for what it is. Left to his own devices, I think he probably wanted to render her like she is. Those may not have been his marching orders, though.

I don't want to suggest I didn't think he has talent. Clearly he does. I just found his original starship designs to be very recognizably his, and not to my taste. And I do like the E-E

And I agree 100%. The final word on how a design turns out, clearly is rarely the artist's, for good or bad.

Just out of curiosity, was that drawing available to be seen online? Because that was the first thing I looked up when I read your post. Kind of like throwing a ball to a dog. LOL

George Nathan

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm not sure if he has it online. I can dig it out and take a picture, though

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 pm

I can't say if I like that it's very similar to the NX-01 concept. Right down to the split in the nacelles, and the very angular leading edge of the neck. As the 1701 that is. As a connie variant, I'm all on board for it.

Is it my imagination, or does it look like there's a docking hatch between the impulse engines? There's a faint blurry circular looking hatch? Though I'd prefer it was an aft photorp launcher than a door.

George Nathan

Return to “General Trek”