AMT 1/537 USS Reliant with lights (complete!)

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

AMT 1/537 USS Reliant with lights (complete!)

Postby Cubey Terra » Thu May 30, 2013 3:33 pm

I've set aside my Enterprise C for the moment until I figure out the best way to paint windows and possibly varnish it. NEXT UP... The USS Reliant.

First off, I've never built a model this bloody huge. We'll see if I can pull this off. Second, I plan to install lights, but this time I've acquired some flexible LED strips for the nacelles and the saucer, which should provide more even lighting than I've previously been able to achieve. Hopefully.

If this one works out, I have a 1/537 Enterprise A kit on the shelf that I plan to build as NCC-1701. If I build the Reliant, I really need the Enterprise nearby to stop Khan, right?

What I've accomplished so far in this build: I drilled exactly one hole. Time for coffee. :)
Last edited by Cubey Terra on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: AMT 1/537 USS Reliant with lights (WIP)

Postby Moongrim » Thu May 30, 2013 4:11 pm

One hole and time for coffee?

Ooh, someone just like me...

Flexible LED's? I've no experience with those. This should be an interesting (if drawn out) build.

Watch out for light leaks.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Thu May 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Moongrim wrote:One hole and time for coffee?

Ooh, someone just like me...

Heh. I like to pace myself. If I drill half a hole, then I need a break to contemplate how to finish the hole.

Flexible LED's? I've no experience with those. This should be an interesting (if drawn out) build.

Flexible LEDs rock. They come on rolls with a sticky backing, and you can cut the strips to the length you need. Just add 12V power and they emit a blinding light. So easy to use. I bought a few feet of both cool white and warm white, but they also come in red, green, and blue.

Watch out for light leaks.

Yeah, I learned the hard way with my Enterprise C. No crack shall be left unfilled.

(That's what SHE said.) :D

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Thu May 30, 2013 4:40 pm

thats one problem ive seen with lit models .. the lights always look way too bright in the ... wonder if instead of a 12 volt power supply if a smaller one say 9 volt or even 6 volt would work .... im no electritian or electronics expert but i dont think a lower power will hurt them .. but i could be wrong on that ... where do ya get your leds and such ...

im thinking of possibly getting a set of those small neon tubes for car interior lighting and see how they work .. they 12 volt and even come with a test button and power supply so ya can see how they look in store in package .. thinking if the smaller 6-12 inch ones will fit in the enings they would make good lighting maybe .. tho will have to get a pair to see first lol

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Thu May 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Yes, if it's too bright, I could use a resistor to reduce the voltage a little. That would take some experimentation. I'm not terribly worried about it being too bright, since the light has to propagate to lots of little windows. Using diffusers tends to dim the light a little.

I get my LEDs and other components from a local electronics shop. They have everything there, including advice on how to make it work.

I've never played with car neon. Is it actually neon, or some other kind of glowing thing, like fluorescent?

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Thu May 30, 2013 5:45 pm

As for resistors you can always use an adjustable resistor to vary the light level. Just be sure to insure that it matches the maximum amperage that the LEDs are rated for.
And depending on the adjustor, you can incorporate it into the surface of the model.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

runner
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby runner » Thu May 30, 2013 8:16 pm

that is why i have power supply that can go from 1 volt to 16 volts. i build my own boards and there are some leds that use 12volts and will not light with less volts.and on leds change the resistor to make the light dim or bright. plus the higher the voltage the more heat. I use smd leds on all my models. i got 2000 red,green, blue,white and amber for 10.00 so iam set for a while.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:08 am

Thumbs up for the LED strips. My first few builds I was soldering resistors on every LED, doing all the nutty math. Now it's just cut the strip into the right length and solder wires to it. I have a build on here where I used flexible LED stripes on the Reliant model. I was also using florescent tubes for the nacelles which needed a small inverter circuit board. If I were to redo it I would use the LED strips for all of it.

Tomorrow I'll be starting my New Enterprise Kit and I will be using strips along with a nice complimenting component that should let me do some neat stuff.

TI4438
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby TI4438 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Quite a few of us will be watching this.

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:53 am

Right. After a bit of a vacation, I've taken some small steps. First I masked the inside of the nacelles where they will eventually glow blue (inboard side only) and then painted all inside surfaces of the nacelles and torpedo bays black. Two coats of matt black so far, maybe one more to come.

There will be some light leakage above and below the torpedo ports unless I putty from the inside.

At the same time, I soldered resistors and leads to five LEDs: four red, one white. You can see how I've sandwiched bare wires between the two halves of the rollbar. One will be positive, the other negative. I'll coat them thoroughly with liquid connector coat before I close up. I don't want any corrosion or shorts.

Return to “Misc”