OTB: AMT/R2 1:537 USS Reliant (another one)

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
MadManMUC
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: OTB: AMT/R2 1:537 USS Reliant (another one)

Postby MadManMUC » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:44 pm

DSML SENSORS

Hi again, gang.

So after a week or so (and after having parked the nacelles for now ... more on that later!), I’ve made a fair bit of progress with the DSML sensors. The kit ones are poorly detailed, as well as being raised too high on the surface of the hull (the bottom parts of them should be flush with the surface of the saucer), so they’ve got to go, and be replaced with the resin ones from Federation Models.

Let’s get stuck in!

First step is easy: mark out the contours of the sensors to see where to drill and cut. Like so:

After that, I used my hand drill with a 0.7 mm bit to get my holes in:

So far, so good. Having done so both port and starboard, it was time cut them out. To my surprise, the plastic is actually quite thick. So, rather than try to do whole job just with my X-Acto #11, I used it for pilot cuts, and used that Revell modelling saw I was slagging off in an earlier post. Worked a treat. So, the starboard side:

And then the port side:

Hey presto, job done. Now, the downside was that I did over-cut a bit, in that there were pretty sizeable gaps all around the new parts. In any case, I figured I’d deal with that when I got to it.

First, though, I had to glue the parts in. The starboard one went on fine, but this kit being what it is, there’s a fair bit of warping. As a result, I had to try three times with the port sensor, before the CA glue finally worked its magic.

Now, the gap work. This was the most fiddly, as I was using the Revell putty, which shrinks as it dries (mental note: order the Squadron stuff this week). In any case, it took three separate rounds of filling and sanding, but I got there in the end:

... although not particularly elegantly:

Ahem. Yeah, well ... :oops:

In any case, all that remained after the final sanding was to give both parts a couple of cheeky blasts of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer, to get a sense of how things look, and if anything further needs to be done:

Overall, I’m pleased. There are still a few pits, dips, and uneven bits to deal with, especially on the port side, but that’s no problem. After that, it’s a question of tidying up/re-scribing the panel lines along the contour of the part on the saucer’s surface, and building up the walls of the sensors’ trenches a bit, as they should protrude a bit higher. I’ll use some styrene strips for that job.

So that’s that. Once those last few details are done, I can tick the DSML sensors off the to-do list.

ANOTHER INBOARD FLUX CHILLER GRILLE MINI-UPDATE

So, as I mentioned in the Construction section of the forum, I came across something called Carson Paint Killer at my local hobby shop this afternoon. It claims to be able to remove Tamiya TS paint from, among other things, resin without damaging the material. So I’m going to try this on my DLM parts. As well, I’m going to try ordering a roll of 0.5 mm 3M lining tape from the States this week. If it’s not too thick (as in, no thicker than regular masking tape), that might help me mask the grooves on the DLM grilles.

So, between that and the Paint Killer, I hope to be able to bring those parts back from the dead.

I will, naturally, keep you posted. :D

‘Til the next update!
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:27 pm

Nice work on the DSML sensors. The replacement parts make a world of difference.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Griffworks » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:55 am

Lookin' great! I need to get two pair of those DSML sensors for the two 1/537 Miranda variants I want to build at some point in the future.

MadManMUC
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby MadManMUC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:13 am

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, these aftermarket parts really do make a huge difference, especially on these older AMT kits, since R2 didn’t bother updating them for better detail.

@Griffworks, I recommend them, they’re nice parts. Mine came with a couple of small bubble pits on the round edge portions, but it was nothing a toothpick, some putty, and some fine grit sandpaper couldn’t sort.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm glad that my DSML sensor parts are finding some homes :) I've got a "Miranda class" specific lower planetary sensor in the works as well. When I finally finish it, I'll send that to Federation Models for casting as well. That will be the last of my long line of 1/537 Miranda replacement parts.

Andy.

MadManMUC
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby MadManMUC » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Oh, you made the part? I didn’t know! It’s a great piece of work, sir! :)

Also, should I wait for the sensor dome to go in production ... ?

Tailgunner
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby Tailgunner » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:17 pm

andyh wrote:I'm glad that my DSML sensor parts are finding some homes :) I've got a "Miranda class" specific lower planetary sensor in the works as well. When I finally finish it, I'll send that to Federation Models for casting as well. That will be the last of my long line of 1/537 Miranda replacement parts.

Andy.

Cannot wait! Andy's parts are top notch!

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:48 am

Do we have enough after market parts to not need the model yet?
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:46 am

MadManMUC wrote:Oh, you made the part? I didn’t know! It’s a great piece of work, sir! :)

I don't have a time frame for getting these finished, but can send you a test casting before sending the master off to Federation models if you like.

Andy

MadManMUC
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby MadManMUC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:37 pm

andyh wrote:
MadManMUC wrote:Oh, you made the part? I didn’t know! It’s a great piece of work, sir! :)

I don't have a time frame for getting these finished, but can send you a test casting before sending the master off to Federation models if you like.

Andy

I'd appreciate that!

I'll PM you my details a bit later.

Return to “Misc”