*another* another lighted Reliant

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
toejrb
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

officer's lounge

Post by toejrb »

Still procrastinating on the windows, I turned to filling in the hole behind the officer's lounge photoetch. I decided to do a lounge like the one from ST:Beyond rather than the arboretum thing. So, first, a bulkhead. The vertical channel will be the entry door. The horizontal, smaller-width, channel will be behind the bar, and either shelves or monitors.
o lounge bulkhead
o lounge bulkhead
image.jpeg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 2178 times

I sketched out a floor plan on some styrene sheet I'd cut to size. Next, I assembled some chairs. These are just channel cut into little bits and glued back together. I was just using what was at hand, so the scale here is more like 1/144 than 1/537! Ah, well. That's about as small as I can manage.
chairs
chairs
image_1.jpeg (112.58 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
I used various sizes of styrene rod and punched sheet for the tables and stools. The bar is styrene rectangle topped with channel. If this were Space:1999 I could probably stop here, and not paint.
mockup of lounge
mockup of lounge
Here's the assembly taped in place. Funny how it picks up the grey! Mental note to go with very light colors when I do paint. And to be sure there's adequate lighting. I'll probably run a bunch of fiber optic through the bulkhead.
lounge in place
lounge in place
image_3.jpeg (73.73 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: *another* another lighted Reliant

Post by MEATLOAFr »

SHOW OFF :lol:
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

MEATLOAFr wrote:SHOW OFF :lol:
Well, he does have a lot to show off after all.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
toejrb

Post by toejrb »

Moongrim wrote:
I'm blushing!

For a harsher review, I can look to my ten-year-old. When I showed him my handiwork, the first thing out of his mouth was "It's the wrong scale." Ouch.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

toejrb wrote:
Moongrim wrote:
I'm blushing!

For a harsher review, I can look to my ten-year-old. When I showed him my handiwork, the first thing out of his mouth was "It's the wrong scale." Ouch.
It's looking great, keep it up
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
toejrb

Re: officer's lounge

Post by toejrb »

toejrb wrote:
Here's the assembly taped in place. Funny how it picks up the grey! Mental note to go with very light colors when I do paint. And to be sure there's adequate lighting. I'll probably run a bunch of fiber optic through the bulkhead.
I did a rough paint job; green deck, grey bulkead, red door, white tables, black chairs, red stools with black tops, white bar top.

I'm going a for more-or-less TOS look. Who sez the Miranda refits got new lounges, just 'cuz the Constitutions did?
TOS lounge
TOS lounge
TOS lounge.jpg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Here're some pics of the assembly taped in place.
exterior O lounge 1
exterior O lounge 1
image_1.jpeg (84.39 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
exterior O lounge 2
exterior O lounge 2
image_2.jpeg (103.96 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Lighting is three white LEDs connected to a 370 ohm resistor, and shoved through holes in the bulkhead.
back of lounge bulkhead, showing lighting wiring
back of lounge bulkhead, showing lighting wiring
It's pretty tough to tell what's going on in there. I think a fair bit of the problem is that the deck is below the level of the window. It should probably be set higher. To do that, I'm basically starting from scratch, at which point my little quickie gapfiller exercise starts to look like a full-fledged project of its own.

Before starting fresh, I'm going to re-paint and see if that helps make things more visually distinct. If I ultimately decide on a complete do-over, I'll see if I can make something more in scale.
toejrb

Post by toejrb »

toejrb wrote:
toejrb wrote:

Before starting fresh, I'm going to re-paint and see if that helps make things more visually distinct. If I ultimately decide on a complete do-over, I'll see if I can make something more in scale.

The re-paint is under way. Sprayed everything a satin green. Then masked in preparation for painting the seats and tables. I think this'll work out fine.
O lounge repaint in progress
O lounge repaint in progress
toejrb

Post by toejrb »

toejrb wrote:

The re-paint is under way. Sprayed everything a satin green. Then masked in preparation for painting the seats and tables. I think this'll work out fine.
Repainted o-lounge in place. Bonus lens flare included!
Now, with lens flare!
Now, with lens flare!
o lounge with lens flare.jpeg (106.53 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
toejrb

Bridge and b/c deck lighting

Post by toejrb »

One of the most striking things to me about the Mirandas is the red lighting coming from under the bridge. This:
red eye of doom
red eye of doom
It's like a baleful Cyclopean eye staring angrily down at you from the screen. I want one.

Turns out that what in the pic above looks like a single light is actually three. How to simulate that? Well, three LEDs of course. But they're too big to squeeze into the required space. So we'll do this instead. Put in a bracket, mount the three LEDs to that, then put in a sort of screen with three holes on the front and both sides of the bridge.
three LEDs under bridge dome
three LEDs under bridge dome
image.jpeg (100.43 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
rat's nest of wiring under b/c decks
rat's nest of wiring under b/c decks
bridge lights!
bridge lights!
image_2 rotated.jpeg (87.08 KiB) Viewed 2060 times
The strips of styrene hanging off the B decks are for the little bumps around the B deck circumference. When the glue is dry, I'll trim to size.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

That is starting to come together nicely.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “Misc”