1/537 Constellation class

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/537 Constellation class

Postby andyh » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks guys ;) It has been a long road getting this far and still a lot to do before I get it to the point where I can start gluing it all together. I'm going to be building this with lighting and one of the shuttle bays (around the edge of the saucer) open, with some shuttles etc inside.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:45 am

Finally finished the saucer top panel and can now move on to the saucer bottom :) For those of you who have the old vaccuform kit that this started life as, you will appreciate the amount of changes that have gone into this :)

The only spot I'm not 100% happy with is the square boxes each side of the upright for the warp engines. They are a little small overall, and a placed a little too far back. I'm going to accept the minor flaw here as it's still much better than the standard kit part.

The area between the two furthermost hatches has a bit of detail which is almost impossible to find good reference pics of. I found one picture only, and it was for the other side but I'm assuming the detail is similar on both sides.

I still have to put a little bit of detail around where I've drilled the hole for the Nav light here on the back of the B/C deck, behind the bridge (I'm very proud of my bridge module-slightly more detailed than the one which I was selling with the DLM add on kit).

And of course, the whole thing needs wet rubbing to smooth off some of that paint :) You'll see I've left the primer off the clear resin b/c deck so I can mask the windows and paint that bit later (the clear resin looks very yellow after 10 years but still lights up nicely)

Andy

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:03 pm

This is looking suhweet, Andy! Your attention to detail is astonishing!

Keep 'er going!

Steve

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:49 am

Thanks Steve :)

Thanks to a SSM forum member, I got a look at some more reference pics, and I wasn't happy with one area at the back, so I've redone it.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 am

A quick test of the running lights on the saucer top.

I've not masked off the windows around the B/C deck yet, so the whole strip is lit up. Once I mask the windows and get some black paint on it to light block it, the saucer top half is finished and I can start on the lower saucer half.

Andy

toejrb
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby toejrb » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:47 pm

Lighting looks good!

What is the strobe atop the bridge? A small LED? Acrylic rod? Something else?

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:55 pm

toejrb wrote:Lighting looks good!

What is the strobe atop the bridge? A small LED? Acrylic rod? Something else?

I had some fibre optic cable which had a black outer sleeve so I paired back the black outer covering by just a few millimetres. I drilled the top hole the same size as the fibre optic core, and from underneath, enlarged the hole (the same size as the outer black covering on the fibre optic cable) till it was just a mm or 2 from breaking through at the surface. Then I fed the black part right through the solid clear cast B/C deck (I didn't have a hollowed out B/C deck, it's just solid clear resin.

Andy

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:58 pm

moving onto the lower saucer.

I did a lot of work on the bottom years ago, before I shelved the build. I'd already replaced the inner saucer section with an old AMT "smoothy" saucer top, added my own B/C deck and custom made lower planetary sensor. Ignore the brightness of the lights shining through the clear windows, I'm just holding it in front of a lamp to show where the lighting will eventually shine through. Also ignore the crappy blue paint job around the B/C deck- I was playing with different coloured blues to see which one I liked best and was using this b/c deck as a test bed :)

I also added some styrene rod around the area's where it is supposed to go using the studio model as reference.

This is all new work, starting to add some styrene strips at the front here to start building up the detail as it should look. PS. I'm using DLM's detail part in the triangular recession here.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:19 am

Just a few more pics

toejrb

Postby toejrb » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:14 am

Very nice work.