33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy)

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: 33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy

Post by Drop_Bear »

Well I'm reading it right now. :P

I think I understand why you would want to destroy the molds, but your plans and notes, too? Dude, that would be a very silly thing to do. You might need those notes and plans again someday, or you might want to share them with a friend. A suggestion? Toss it all in a fireproof safe, put the safe in the back of a cupboard, and leave it and forget about it. It would accomplish the same thing.

Your Enterprise is looking gorgeous by the way. Can't wait to see your replica finished. :beast:
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

That model is an AMAZING build!

But I have to say it, please reconsider destroying your plans! That would be such a loss. I'd urge you to pass on your knowledge to someone you trust. Or maybe even a museum? Your work is THAT good, IMHO.
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Oddly enough, the original plan wasn't for me to build the model at all. I had released my first draft of the plans (here) to the public back in 2007 hoping that if they were available that someone with scratch building skills would find an interest in them. I knew they had errors that would be hard to spot in the orthogonal drawings, and what was needed was a 3D version (either CG or physical) to help find them.

After waiting a year, I decided to do it myself... teaching myself how to scratch build along the way. With each study model I learned more about model building and was able to find errors (or missed details) and incorporate the new information into my plans.

But there never seemed to be enough interest in this version of the Enterprise to release finalized versions of either the second or third revision of the plans to the public.

So there are plans out there... just not the most up-to-date versions.

But the thing is, it isn't like there could be two of these models made. Having to build in most of the flaws of the original would make it difficult to replicate multiple times. And the real goal is that when seen in person the model should feel like we had gone back to the 70's and brought it forward in time. The one flawed aspect of the original I'm not replicating is the nacelle (mis)alignment after the model had been dropped between the second and third seasons of TOS. But pretty much everything I know about the original model will be built into this one (and I may update my second study model at some point to include much of that).
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

Well, whatever you decide, your Enterprise is a work of art! I think it looks awesome. :)
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

I have to agree that destroying the notes and plans would be a crime. They are part of the model. They should be displayed with the finished results.

Yes I read this.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

I concur with what others have said. Destroying the molds and plans would be a shame. After all the work you've put this I just don't see the rationale for doing so. Lock them away in a safe place if you must but don't deprive the world of their existence.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Shaw wrote:My wife suggested that I haven't actually made it clear what this model represents, so here is a quick description... this is the first ever studio scale TOS Enterprise replica model. It is also going to be the last as I'll be destroying the masters and molds once the model is finished (and maybe the plans and notes too). When finished this model should look as though it had been swiped from Gene Roddenberry's desk back in 1978 (yes, I'm actually going to be building in most of the original model's flaws).

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!! I'll echo what others have said. Please don't destroy the molds and notes. You never know when you'll need them again
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

I don't think people actually care about that type of stuff... or they've gotten so use to me providing tons of info for free over the last 9 years that they no longer see it as being special. Maybe at this point it would be better to let people go back to how it was when people would hide detailed information from fans and only share it with an elite group.

Oh well, I'll see how things are the closer I get to finishing and decide then.

Here are a few more shots. This is mainly a test of the mounting system (these are vintage 1960's parts) to make sure that it can hold the weight...

Click to enlarge

This also means that the secondary hull is now totally solid. It has been a year of slowly packing it in starting around the nacelle support attachment points and working forward.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Shaw wrote:I don't think people actually care about that type of stuff... or they've gotten so use to me providing tons of info for free over the last 9 years that they no longer see it as being special. Maybe at this point it would be better to let people go back to how it was when people would hide detailed information from fans and only share it with an elite group.
It isn't so much that you have to share what you've learned when you learn it. What I'm advising is that you archive your notes so that they can be shared as a reference for you or someone else when needed. In other words, don't lose the knowledge even if you choose not to share it or publish it. By destroying your notes (and molds) you're essentially burning the library of Alexandria. The knowledge is lost until someone comes around and decides to reinvent the wheel.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I concur with El Gato.

The difference between Science and Screwing Around- is writing things down!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “Misc”